Tuesday, April 20, 2010

1025 East Prince Road

It's not something I do often...cry.

It's just something that I don't like to do. I don't know why. I just don't.
My mother will tell you that when it comes to crying, I'm pretty dang stubborn.

Well I couldn't find a tissue quick enough when I heard this song first play on my radio.

Miranda Lambert-House That Built Me (click link).

For those that don't know me very well, I had the hardest time accepting the fact that my parents had sold "my home" a year after I moved to Hawaii. It was the home that my brother and I spent our entire childhood in. It's the house I learned to ride my bike at. The house that I got ready for my first day of school in. The house that I woke up, entirely too early, on Christmas mornings in. The house that I spent every summer swimming in the backyard pool. Just about every single one of my childhood memories involves some part of that house.
When I came back to SC for the first time after I had moved to Hawaii, after the house had sold, I made it a point to go by our "home" one last time.
It just felt right.
The man that bought our house must have thought I was a loon, some crazy girl blubbering on about his house being her childhood home and could she please see it one last time. If he thought I was a loon, he didn't say it (thankfully) he just let me in and let me walk through the house one last time.
It was the last time I would see the inside of the house that built me.

Listen to the lyrics and if you've ever had to say goodbye to a childhood home, maybe you'll cry too.

4 comments:

mom said...

Now Linds, Remember you left the house first> Just like your were suppose to. I miss "home" too at times. But what I think it is I really miss is just all those good times raising my sweet children, that I love so much!
Grab the tissues it is good for the sole to cry at times.
I love you bunches,
Mom

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
mom said...

oops soul was the correct spelling.
love,
mom