Tuesday, December 09, 2008

They call me Doodle bug

I've always had an interest in art, any art. Painting is my favorite. I took different art classes at Winthrop, when I was actually going for a degree in art. Now I just doodle for fun. My dad seemed to make sense when he told me a business degree would be in my best interest. I never really liked the idea of being a "starving artist". Sev got me the easel I had been drooling over for some time as a Valentines gift. While I cherish that easel...it has played the role of a mirror stand, instead of serving its original purpose. My grandma kept me well stocked with paints, crafts, pencils, pens, markers, paper and canvas. She really believed in my talents. So when my grandmother asked me to paint her a picture, I knew I owed her...I dusted off my easel, pulled out my paints, and dug for inspiration. The only requirements she requested were the colors blue and pink (the color of one of her bedrooms). So while I don't think its the best piece I've ever created...by far....I guess it turned out okay.







My favorite thing to paint are trees...I'm not sure why. My favorite tree is the dogwood tree.









I also snapped a picture of our tree :-)




A friend of mine owns a framing and art shop in Lexington SC. She has asked me numerous times to paint and display my work in her shop...while I could spend my day painting, I know I'm not great and I need more practice. So, I'm hoping to keep the dust off my painting supplies and maybe just maybe I'll have my paintings up to displaying material :-)

2 comments:

Autumn said...

I think it's FABULOUS!! I wish you would paint something for your god daughter! Her colors are pink and green...and I want something with multiple canvases making up the picture like in your appt in HI! Love you :)

Meredith said...

Yay! Love it! And yes, you should keep up your love. It doesn't matter if it's not for a living. It is part of who you are and make you happy.

Trees are my favorite subjects for art, too. Keith had a friend in college who married an artist, and she painted trees on gigantic canvases - like 7 feet tall. I drooled over them.